Do you know the phrase “mise en place“? I have a little ritual every time I sit down to piece at my sewing machine.
Sometimes I go many many
years months between sittings, so instead of beating myself up or feeling intimidated each time, I start with my little index card reminder. It takes about 30 minutes to complete, and looks like this:
Preparing Machine for Piecing 1/4″ Seams
- clean machine (pipe cleaner)
- oil machine (see manual) & run without needle
- #13 foot with seam guide
- tape guide & graph paper
- feed dogs up
- check 1/4″seam without thread first
- Neutral prescentia 60wt thread
- New 75/11 of 70/10 needle (use screwdriver to change)
- Check chair height
- stitch width: 0 Stitch length: 2
- needle down
- sew sample and check tension
I keep everything I need for setup in a little box in my closet. I bring it out and take a deep breath as I uncover my sewing machine. Once my list is completed, I find I’m centered and ready to start on my actual project.
What about you? Do you have a ritual every time you sit down to sew? What would be on your list? Am I leaving anything out?